The team with one of my favorite nicknames in minor league baseball is now playing in their 23rd season. They have been a farm team for the Texas Rangers since 2009. The Crawdads are currently 24-20 and third place in the South Atlantic League’s Northern Division.
The Crawdads have been pretty successful on the field winning three league titles (2002, 2004, 2015) and 10 division titles.
They play at L.P. Frans Stadium which opened in 1993 and seats 5,092 fans.
When the team was purchased and moved from Gastonia, North Carolina, the team was named the “Crawdads”.
Most notable players that have played for the Crawdads:
- Jose Bautista (Toronto Blue Jays)
- Joe Beimel (Seattle Mariners)
- Matt Capps (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- Andrew McCutchen (Pittsburgh Pirates)
- Magglio Ordonez (retired – played for Chicago White Sox and Detroit Tigers)
- Chris Young (Kansas City Royals)
Left fielder Eduardo Pinto currently leads the Crawdads with a .337 batting average and was recently called up to the Frisco RoughRiders of the Texas League. Jonathan Hernandez has pitched in 92.2 innings for the team. His Earned Run Average is 4.86.
For more information about the Crawdads, go here.