Houston County teams in Warner Robins might be feeling that a hurricane ripped through their games as four of the five county teams lost this weekend. In the much anticipated showdown between #1 Houston County and #3 Lee County the Trojans blew past Jake Fromm and the Bears 55-29. Lee County intercepted Fromm four times. Northside-Warner Robins was stonewalled by Valdosta 14-6 in a defensive battle. The Wildcats recovered a muffed punt in the end zone and put together a 79-yard drive in the second quarter. They Eagles never got on track on offense. Warner Robins lost at home to Thomas County Central 33-22 and Veterans lost to Bainbridge 31-6.
This was the first time since 2008 that Warner Robins, Northside and Houston County all lost in the same weekend. In 2008 Warner Robins lost to Coffee, 37-20; Tift County beat Houston County 31-24 and Lowndes topped Northside 24-7. It was the first time since Veterans started playing in 2010 that all four teams have lost in the same weekend.
Carrollton defeated Villa Rica 42-13 in what has been a rivalry game – at least for Villa Rica – but the Trojans have dominated the series 5-42-7 and has won the last eight meetings between the county foes. It was their first meeting since 2007. Villa Rica’s last win against Carrollton was in 1998.
Here’s this week’s top-ranked teams:
- 7A – Roswell (6-0) beat Lassister 45-14. Next week: at Walton (3-3)
- 6A – Lee County (6-0) beat Houston County 55-29. Next week: at Northside Warner Robins (6-1)
- 5A – Buford (5-1) beat Johnson-Gainesville 48-0. Next week: at Cedar Shoals (3-3)
- 4A – Cartersville (7-0) beat LaGrange 52-7. Next week: at Sandy Creek (4-2)
- 3A – Greater Atlanta Christian (6-1) beat East Hall 69-12. Next week: Lumpkin County (2-3)
- 2A – Benedictine (6-0) was off. Next week: Toombs County (5-1)
- 1A (Public) – Clinch County (5-1) was off. Next week: at Turner County (4-2)
- 1A (Private) – Eagle’s Landing Christian (7-0) beat Our Lady of Mercy 49-0. Next week: at Strong Rock Christian (3-4)