Remember the scene in the movie “Jurassic Park” when you could hear the T-Rex coming and the water was vibrating on the dash?
That sound you hear in Georgia High School football is the Colquitt County Packers.
After starting the season 0-4, the Packers have won four straight after winning their region opener in total domination of Camden County 56-10. If they win their next two games against Tift County and Lowndes, they will be the top seed in their region.
Lee County spent one week at #1 in Class 6A but Northside-Warner Robins handed the Trojans their first loss, 26-7. For the third week in a row, there is a new #1 team in the classification. Valdosta claims the top spot this week for the first time since September 1999.
Previous #1 Houston County lost their second straight 42-35 to Coffee County in spite of 325 yards passing from Jake Fromm. The Bears could not stop Coffee’s Demetrius Davis who rushed for 224 yards and scored five touchdowns.
In what was supposed to be a huge region battle in Ashburn, the Clinch County Panthers had 348 yards rushing and the defense sacked Turner County quarterbacks seven times as they completely dismantled Turner County 66-20.
Some other interesting scores from this past weekend:
- Southwest Macon 48, Dublin 28 – The Patriots beat Dublin for the first time in team history. Southwest is now 4-3 and a surprise team in their region.
- Islands 13, Beach 7 – Islands improved to 2-4 with their first win over Beach. They have already exceeded their win total from last season.
- Veterans 33, Thomas County Central 28 – The Yellow Jackets were derailed by the Warhawks who were 19-point underdogs in the game.
- Cedar Grove 49, Pace Academy 0 – Georgia High School Football Daily ranks this as the biggest upset of the weekend as Pace Academy were the defending state champions. It is the first time that Pace Academy has been shut out since 2012 when they lost 55-0 to Eagle’s Landing Christian.
- Class 7A – Roswell (7-0) beat Walton 55-10. Next: at Etowah (4-3)
- Class 6A – Valdosta (6-1) was off. Next: at Lee County (6-1)
- Class 5A – Buford (6-1) beat Cedar Shoals 56-14. Next: at Walnut Grove (3-4)
- Class 4A – Cartersville (8-0) beat Sandy Creek 35-21. Next: at Chapel Hill (3-3-1)
- Class 3A – Greater Atlanta Christian (7-1) beat Lumpkin County 49-21. Next: at North Hall (5-3)
- Class 2A – Benedictine (7-0) beat Toombs County 42-13. Next: at Bacon County (1-5)
- Class 1A (Public) – Clinch County (6-1) beat Turner County 66-20. Next: vs. Lanier County (1-6)
- Class 1A (Private) – Eagle’s Landing Christian (7-0) was off. Next: at Strong Rock Christian (3-4)
National Top Ten Teams:
- Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, NV)
- IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL)
- Mater Dei High (Santa Ana, CA)
- Allen (Allen, TX)
- McGill-Toolen Catholic (Mobile, AL)
- Dematha Catholic (Hyattsville, MD)
- Desoto (Desoto, TX)
- St. Thomas Aquinas (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
- Roswell (Roswell, GA)
- St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA)