The games get bigger as the schedule winds down. Don’t look now but I think Valdosta is for real. The #1 ranked team in Class 6A kept their place on top with a 27-7 win over Lee County which had that position just two weeks ago after their big win over Houston County. The Wildcats are one win away from their first region title since 2011.
Also in the same region, Northside-Warner Robins defeated Coffee County 17-14 and will face city rivals Houston County this week.
All of the #1 teams in each classification won with Roswell needing a 6-yard run from Sheldon Evans with a minute left to edge Etowah 17-14.
Islands beat Windsor Forest 20-13 for their first homecoming victory while also giving the Sharks their first three-game winning streak. The turning point of the game came when Islands held the Knights on a fourth-and-one from the Sharks’ 6-yard line with the scored tied at 13-13. The Sharks are now 3-4 overall and 3-1 in the region. The Sharks need one more win to qualify for the playoffs.
The biggest upset of the week was Greene County’s 42-14 win over Lincoln County. It was the most points Greene County has ever scored in the series.
- Class 7A: Roswell (8-0) beat Etowah 17-14. Next: Woodstock (5-3)
- Class 6A: Valdosta (7-1) beat Lee County 27-7. Next: Coffee (5-3)
- Class 5A: Buford (7-1) beat Walnut Grove 38-6. Next: Loganville (7-1)
- Class 4A: Cartersville (9-0) beat Chapel Hill 48-7. Next: Troup (7-1)
- Class 3A: Greater Atlanta Christian (8-1) beat North Hall 42-14. Next: at Dawson County (6-1)
- Class 2A: Benedictine (8-0) beat Bacon County 65-7. Next: Metter (2-5)
- Class 1A (Public): Clinch County (7-1) beat Lanier County 52-0. Next: at Charlton County (2-5)
- Class 1A (Private): Eagle’s Landing Christian (8-0). Next: Mount Vernon Presbyterian (5-3)
USA Today Top 10 – Southeast Team Rankings
- IMG Academy, Bradenton, Fla.
- McGill-Toolen, Mobile, Ala.
- St. Thomas Aquinas, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Roswell, Ga.
- Mill Creek, Hoschton, Ga.
- American Heritage, Plantation, Fla.
- Dutch Fork, Irmo, S.C.
- Oakland, Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- Grayson, Loganville, Ga.
- Apopka, Fla.