Teams that were left for dead are suddenly knocking on the door for the 2016 GHSA postseason. In this trick-or-treat edition we find the Houston County Bears who were ranked #1 in Class 6A a few weeks ago, lost back-to-back games to Lee County and Coffee. They were left for dead but after their 45-35 win over Northside-Warner Robins this week, they need a win against Valdosta this week in the season finale. Jake Fromm was 28-of-43 for 530 yards and five touchdowns.
Two-time defending Class 7A champions Colquitt County started the season losing their first four games have now returned from the football dead and have won six straight as they defeated Lowndes 42-35 over Lowndes to win the region title. They now have a week off before the state playoffs begin. They will be a number one seed in the first round.
Valdosta, who has been dead for several years, beat Coffee 15-10 to clinch their first region title since 2011. The Wildcats are still the top team in Class 6A.
Jenkins ended a 50-year zombie existence as they claimed their first region championship since 1966 with a 55-28 win over Windsor Forest. It was also the first region title for a Savannah-Chatham County public school team since Savannah High in 1993.
Clinch County won the battle of swamp as they defeated Charlton County 38-10. They also exorcised some demons with their first win at Charlton County since 1993.
Grayson beat Alabama’s #1-ranked Hoover, 36-14. Georgia teams are 3-2 since 2008 against Hoover, which has won nine state titles since 2000. It appears that the Rams are peaking at the right time and with Coach Jeff Herron creating a monster of a team. Look out for the Rams when the postseason starts.
In my Ripley’s Believe it or not moment, Ware County beat Wayne County 27-3 and is ranked #6 in Class 5A but with a 5-3 record I’m not sure why they are even in the Top Ten.
Teams that have clinched region titles:
- 7A-1: Colquitt County
- 7A-2: Westlake
- 7A-6: Mill Creek
- 7A-7: Norcross
- 6A-1: Valdosta
- 6A-2: Glynn Academy
- 6A-8: Dacula
- 5A-4: Stockbridge
- 5A-6: Grady
- 5A-8: Buford
- 4A-1: Cairo
- 4A-2: Mary Persons
- 4A-3: Thomson
- 4A-4: Woodward Academy
- 3A-3: Jenkins
- 3A-5: Westminster
- 3A-8: Morgan County
- 2A-2: Benedictine
- 2A-3: Washington
- 2A-5: Callaway
- 2A-8: Rabun County
- 1A-2: Clinch County
- 1A-3: Emanuel County Institute
Top Ranked Teams:
- Class 7A: Roswell (9-0) beat Woodstock 59-7. Next: Cherokee (6-3) Roswell beat Cherokee 42-21 last season.
- Class 6A: Valdosta (8-1) beat Coffee 15-10. Next: at Houston County (7-2) Valdosta is 7-1 all-time against Houston County.
- Class 5A: Buford (8-1) beat Loganville 35-10. Next: Flowery Branch (3-6) This will be their first meeting.
- Class 4A: Cartersville (9-0) Bye. Next: Troup (8-1) Cartersville is 2-0 all-time against Troup. They last played in 1989.
- Class 3A: Greater Atlanta Christian (8-1) Bye. Next: at Dawson County (7-1) GAC has won five straight against Dawson County.
- Class 2A: Benedictine (9-0) beat Metter 50-0. Next: at Jeff Davis (2-6) Benedictine is 6-0 all-time against Jeff Davis. Jeff Davis has been outscored 252-7.
- Class 1A (Public): Clinch County (8-1) beat Charlton County 38-10. Next: Telfair County (5-3) Clinch County is 9-0 all-time against Telfair County.
- Class 1A (Private): Eagle’s Landing Christian (9-0) beat Mt. Vernon Presbyterian 49-7. Next: at Landmark Christian (9-0). ELCA has won the last four meetings in the series.