Trailing 6-3 in the third quarter of Game Two of the Major Arena Soccer League (MASL) championship and already trailing the series 1-0 playing on Soles de Sonora’s home turf, the Blast made an amazing comeback when Adriano Dos Santos tied the game with 11 seconds left. Juan Pereira scored the game-winning goal in overtime, 9-8, to tie the series.
The teams then played the series-deciding 15-minute mini-game where Vini Dantas clinched the winner in front of over 8,000 fans at El Centro de Usos Multiples in Mexico.
Goalkeeper William Vanzela was tough for the Blast in both games and made a huge save in the mini-game on a shot from Sole de Sonora’s Gustavo Rosales with 1:08 left.
With their second consecutive MASL title, the Blast have now won nine championships in franchise history. After losing to Harrisburg at home in the first game of the playoffs, they went to Harrisburg and rallied from a 3-0 deficit in Game Two before winning in a mini-game. Against the Milwaukee Wave in the Eastern Conference final, the Blast also won in a mini-game to advance to the Ron Newman Cup final.
Baltimore Blast Championships:
- 1984: Defeated St. Louis Steamers, 4 games to 1.
- 2003: Defeated Milwaukee Wave 2 games to 1
- 2004: Defeated Milwaukee Wave 3 games to 0
- 2006: Defeated St. Louis Steamers 2 games to 1
- 2008: Defeated Monterrey La Raza 14-11 (One-game final)
- 2009: Defeated Rockford Rampage 13-10 (One-game final)
- 2013: Defeated Missouri Comets, 2 games to 0
- 2016: Defeated Soles de Sonora, 2 games to 0
- 2017: Defeated Soles de Sonora, 2 games to 1