If you plan a trip to the Music City and looking for things to do here, there are many options if you are a Country Music fan. Now that I have lived in the Music City for the past three years, let me give you some things NOT to waste your time on. These are things that might come up on your Google searches but let me just keep you from wasting your time and money.
- Antique Archeology – This is the store from “American Pickers” television show. I have seen people line up to get in this store only to leave frustrated and disappointed. You won’t see Mike from the show, you won’t be able to buy any of the stuff you have seen on the show and you won’t be able to sell any of your junk to them either. You can buy an expensive t-shirt or guitar pick.
- Trolley Tours – There are several to choose from and you will be tempted to do it but you can get to the places you want to go by other means. Some of the stops aren’t anything most people would want to stop at. Do you really want to stop at the Farmer’s Market or Vanderbilt University?
- Tour of Stars Homes – You will see some of the stars homes on these tours but not enough to make this worth your time. For some of the homes you’ll be told “Look up yonder in the trees. See the corner of that house up there? That’s Keith and Nicole’s house.” Forget going inside any of them, the tour is only drive-bys of the homes. If you still want to do this, you need to choose “Tommy’s Nashville Tours”. Tommy is very entertaining and has lots of stories you’ll want to hear.
- Horse Carriage Tours – Nashville is not the place to take one of these. If you’re coming in the summer, definitely avoid it because it is too hot. Lower Broadway, where all the honky tonks are, is not a good place to see by horse carriage.
- Country Music Hall of Fame – I know it seems odd to have this on the list but I do it for people who aren’t big Country Music fans. Definitely go if you are but you’ll have more money in your pocket if you aren’t.
Even if you aren’t a fan of Country Music you can still have a good time in the Music City. There are plenty of things to do and places to see around the area. You’ll definitely hear music especially if you take a walk down Broadway. The city is definitely alive. What surprises many people is that there are other genres of music here other than country. Bars and Honky Tonks are too many to list here but you can find the one for your specific tastes. Nashville is growing fast. One thing you will definitely notice downtown is the number of construction cranes in the city’s skyline.
Hopefully these tips will help you to make the most of you time in Nashville and singing a happy tune when you leave.