In the battle of two of the nation’s top quarterbacks, Carterville’s Trevor Lawrence got the best of Bartram Trail, Florida’s Joey Gatewood. Lawrence was 18-of-23 for 403 yards and five touchdowns while Gatewood teamed with fellow teammate to counter with 27-of-34 for 366 yards. Cartersville jumped out to a 38-10 lead in the first half then held on to edge Bartram Trail 52-45.
Here is a recap of the top teams in each classification:
- 7A: Grayson (1-0)
- Defeated Alabama perennial powerhouse Hoover 35-26. The Rams sealed the game with a 71-yard touchdown pass from D.J. Irons to Kenyon Jackson in the fourth quarter. Grayson will host McEachern (0-1) this week. Grayson is undefeated (3-0) all-time against McEachern. The Rams won last year’s meeting 16-13.
- 6A: Tucker (2-0)
- The Tigers had little trouble with Lakeside-Atlanta to win 54-0 for their 17th consecutive win against Lakeside. Tucker quarterback Travon Ford was 7-of-11 passing for 134 yards and two touchdowns in the game. Tucker will travel to Moultrie to play Colquitt County (2-0). Tucker won last year’s meeting 21-20.
- 5A: Rome (1-0)
- The Wolves rallied in the third quarter to beat Harrison 33-21. Rome pulled away in the fourth quarter with a flea flicker for a touchdown with 8:02 left. Rome will host Drew (1-1) this week. The Wolves won 54-12 last year.
- 4A: Cartersville (2-0)
- Rico Frye’s 2-yard run with 3:40 left broke a 45-45 tie. Bartram Trail had a final play at the Cartersville 12-yard line with three seconds left, but Cartersville blitzed and forced an incompletion. The Purple Hurricanes won’t get much of a break this week as they host Calhoun (2-0). Cartersville leads the all-time series 28-6-1. They blanked Calhoun 56-0 in last year’s meeting.
- 3A: Peach County (1-0)
- The Trojans opened their season with a convincing 44-14 win over Houston County. Kearis Jackson had a 53-yard touchdown pass reception and returned a punt 62 yards for a touchdown in the game. Peach County will host surprising Warner Robins (2-0) on Friday. Peach County is 5-4 against the Demons. They lost 20-19 last year.
- 2A: Benedictine (1-0)
- The Cadets had the week off. This weekend they will host St. Pius X (0-1). Benedictine is 1-2 in the series and won their first game last season 21-7.
- 1A (public): Clinch County (2-0)
- The Panthers avenged last season’s playoff loss with a 42-6 win over McIntosh County Academy. Clinch County held MCA to minus-1 yard rushing. The Panthers play at Brooks County (1-0) this week. Brooks County leads the all-time series 11-7 and won last year’s meeting 35-21.
- 1A (private): Eagle’s Landing Christian Academy (2-0)
- The Chargers beat Jonesboro 35-7. ELCA dominated the line of scrimmage as they racked up 511 yards of total offense. The Chargers will host Knoxville Catholic, Tennessee (1-1) this week.
Blowout of the week:
- Harlem 70, Glascock 0
Upset of the week:
- Spencer 28, Carver (Columbus) 18
- The Greenwave ended Carver’s dominance of Muscogee County schools ending the Tigers’ 44-game winning streak. Carver’s last loss against their county rivals was in 2006 to Shaw.
My Personal Watch List:
- Villa Rica 50, LaGrange 0 – The Wildcats won their first game ever against the Grangers. The largest margin of victory in Villa Rica history is 56 points which they did twice. They did the first time in 1958 against Valley Point (56-0) and in 1986 against Etowah (64-8).
- Clinch County 42, Macintosh County Academy 6 – The Panthers avenged a semifinal loss to the Buccaneers last year. Clinch County had 303 yards rushing, led by QB Charles McClelland (26-85-2). Darius Dorsey ran an interception 95 yards for a score.
- Warner Robins 20, Locust Grove 3 – The Demons’ defense denied several Locust Grove drives into the red zone allowing only a field goal. Warner Robins put the game out of reach as they drove down the field to open the second half capped off by a touchdown by Jaeven West. Demons are now 2-0.
Other interesting facts from this week:
- Jenkins is ranked in the top 10 for the first time since 1970. Jackson County currently has the longest streak. They made their last top 10 appearance in 1963.
Games to watch this week:
- Warner Robins at Peach County
- Calhoun at Cartersville
- Tucker at Colquitt County
- Parkview at Lowndes