Here’s how the top-ranked teams in each classification fared last week:
- Class 7A – Grayson (2-0) defeated McEachern 12-7. Ronald Thompkins had 111 yards rushing and scored a touchdown for the Rams. Grayson jumped out to a 12-0 lead and held off the Indians. Grayson will travel to Louisiana to tangle with top-ranked John Curtis (1-0) this week.
- Class 6A – Tucker (2-1) lost to Colquitt County 35-21. The Tigers led 14-7 at halftime but could not withstand the Packer’s passing attack in the second half. Tucker is off this week.
- Class 5A – Rome (2-0) beat Drew 56-0. Rome had 430 yards of total offense in the first half as they built a 42-0 lead in the first half. Rome will host Kell (0-2) this week. Kell beat Rome 33-30 last year.
- Class 4A – Cartersville (3-0) defeated Calhoun 58-6. Trevor Lawrence passed for 317 yards and four touchdowns. It was the second year in a row that the Purple Hurricanes have blown away the Yellow Jackets. Cartersville will play at Westlake (1-1) this week. Cartersville won last year’s meeting 31-0.
- Class 3A – Greater Atlanta Christian (2-0) was off, they will host Valor Christian (2-0) from Colorado this week. Valor Christian is the defending Colorado 5A state champions.
- Class 2A – Benedictine (2-0) beat St. Pius 41-13. Rico Powers had 103 yards in receptions and three touchdowns for the Cadets. Benedictine will play at Southeast Bulloch (0-2) this week. Benedictine won last year’s game, 33-6.
- Class 1A (public) – Clinch County (2-1) lost to Brooks County 17-14. The Panthers lead at one point 14-0 in this game but turnovers were too much to overcome. Quarterback Charles McClelland was held to 38 yards rushing and 61 yards passing in the game. Clinch County is off this week.
- Class 1A (private) – Eagle’s Landing Christian Academy (3-0) beat Knoxville Catholic 55-10. Khaleb Hood had a big game with a 99-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and 78 yards on two punt returns. The Chargers will travel to Hart County (0-2) this week. ELCA won last year’s contest, 45-0.
Here’s how the teams on my personal watch list performed this week:
- Warner Robins 38, Peach County 35
- This was one of the best games I have listened to in a very long time. Peach County jumped out to a 10-0 lead but the Demons came back behind Quarterback Dylan Fromm who was 30-of-40 for 315 yards and three touchdowns. Warner Robins connected on a 34-yard game-winning field goal from Eli Mashburn as time expired. Warner Robins is off this week.
- Brooks County 17, Clinch County 14
- Clinch County always has a battle with Brooks County and this was nothing new or unexpected. The Panthers looked good early as they jumped out to a 14-0 lead but three fumbles kept the Trojans in the game. Clinch County is off this week.
- Villa Rica was off
- The Wildcats are 2-0 for the first time since 2010. Villa Rica will play East Paulding (0-2) this week. East Paulding leads the all-time series 4-2.
Blowout of the week
- Cedartown 63, Gilmer 0
Upsets of the week
- Wayne County 23, Valdosta 13 – This one kinda flew under the radar since it was a Thursday night game. Wayne County was a 29-point underdog but won for only the 8th time in the 34-year history of the series and first win since 1954.
- SW DeKalb 28, Creekside 0 – The Panthers were underdogs in this one but came away with a convincing win against Creekside which appears to be in a rebuilding process after several winning seasons .
- Tift County 27, Glynn Academy 7 – This one surprised me as Glynn Academy has come off deep postseason runs in the past few seasons.
Notable News of the week
- Montgomery County was the last team to play their first game last week. They opened with a 26-6 win over East Laurens.
- Hephzibah ended a 15-game losing streak with a 39-7 win over Westside-Augusta.
Top Players In Georgia
- QB Trevor Lawrence (Cartersville)
- QB Michael Barrett (Lowndes)
- DL Adam Anderson (Rome)
- QB Justin Fields (Harrison)
- QB Bailey Fisher (Rabun County)
Playoffs? We’re taking about playoff already?
Would you believe the computer has updated their playoff and champions for each classification after only week 3? Here are the current state champion projections:
- 7A – Grayson over Colquitt County
- 6A – Tucker over Lee County
- 5A – Buford over Carrollton
- 4A – Cartersville over Woodward Academy
- 3A – Greater Atlanta Christian over Cedar Grove
- 2A – Benedictine over Fitzgerald
- 1A (public) – Clinch County over Irwin County
- 1A (private) – Eagle’s Landing Christian over Prince Avenue Christian