Hurricane Irma affected some games last weekend as teams either cancelled or postponed games out of concern for the approaching hurricane into most parts of Georgia. Teams should be back to their schedules this weekend as we are already into week four of the season. It’s hard to believe that next week will be halfway through the regular season. Let’s take a look back at last week’s results and look ahead to the weekend ahead.
Georgia’s #1 Ranked Teams:
- 7A – Grayson (3-0)
- The Rams knocked off Louisiana’s top-ranked team, John Curtis Christian, 22-9. Grayson had two long drives late in the game to overcome a 9-3 deficit to get the win.
- This week: Off
- 6A – Tucker (2-1)
- The Tigers were off.
- This week: Tucker will host Jonesboro (2-2). The Tigers beat Jonesboro in last year’s meeting, 58-0.
- 5A – Rome (3-0)
- The Wolves outlasted Kell 54-33 with over 500 yards in total offense. Rome QB Knox Kadum was 13-of-18 for 195 yards and two touchdowns. Kadum’s 42-yard touchdown pass to Xavier Roberts in the third quarter gave the Wolves lead.
- This week: Off
- 4A – Cartersville (4-0)
- The Purple Hurricanes toppled Westlake 38-5. RB Rico Frye and QB Trevor Lawrence combined for 436 yards of offense to roll to the win.
- This week: Off
- 3A – Cedar Grove (3-0)
- The Saints thumped Columbia 33-0. Jadon Haselwood was all over the place in this game with a touchdown on a pass reception, scored on a punt return, forced a fumble and had a sack in the game.
- This week: Cedar Grove will host Lovett (1-2). The Saints are 3-6 all-time against Lovett. They won 28-21 in last year’s meeting.
- 2A – Benedictine (3-0)
- The Cadets had little trouble with Southeast Bulloch as they posted a 48-7 win. Travis Blackshear ran for 114 yards and two touchdowns.
- This week: Benedictine travels to Swainsboro (3-0). The Cadets beat Swainsboro 47-8 last year.
- 1A (Public) – Clinch County (2-1)
- The Panthers were off.
- This week: Clinch County plays at Irwin County (2-1). The all-time series is tied at 20-20-1. The Panthers have won the last two games in the series.
- 1A (Private) – Eagle’s Landing Christian (4-0)
- The Chargers beat Hart County 49-19. Josh Mays and Jalen Pearson combined for 201 yards rushing. LB Harrison Taylor had three sacks in the game.
- This week: ELCA will be at Holy Innocents (1-2). The Chargers are 5-1 against Holy Innocents and have won the last four games.
Blowout of the week:
- Marion County 61, Pacelli 6
- This is the most points Marion County has scored in a game since 2013. Pacelli is going through a serious rebuilding season as they have lost 57-6, 42-6 and 61-6 so far this season.
Personal Watch List:
- Warner Robins had the week off. The Demons will play Houston County this week. They lead the series 12-6-1 and lost last year’s meeting 63-28. Houston County has won the last four games.
- Villa Rica lost to East Paulding 30-14. The Wildcats will play at Woodland (Cartersville) (2-1) this week. Villa Rica has won the last four games in the series.
- Clinch County had the week off after their 17-14 loss to Brooks County. The Panthers will play at Irwin County this week.
Some interesting results from last week:
- Tift County 20, Valdosta 10 – Don’t look now but Tift County is flying under the radar with a 4-0 record. The Blue Devils travel to play Parkview this week and have never beaten the Panthers. Valdosta is the defending state champs but not looking much like it so far this season.
- Jenkins 43, Liberty County 41 – Could Jenkins be for real?
- Baldwin 34, Washington County 28 – I would have liked to seen the end of this game. With only seconds left, Washington County attempted a Hail Mary pass but it was intercepted by Trey Trawick who returned it for the game winning TD.
- Early County 36, Worth County 4 – I see that Worth County scored four runs in the game. Seriously, I’m not sure I have ever seen a team score four points in a game. I’m assuming these were two safeties unless they played by rugby rules.
- East Coweta 42, LaGrange 10 – This is the worst start for the Grangers since 1994.
Games To Watch This Week:
- Benedictine at Swainsboro
- Tift County at Parkview
- Marietta at Lassiter
- University Christian, Florida at Coffee County
- Buford at South Pointe, South Carolina
- Baldwin at Griffin
- Woodward Academy at Marist
- Macon County at Taylor County
- Stratford Academy at Lincoln County
- George Walton Academy at Prince Avenue Christian