Tift County beats Parkview? Wayne County QB throws seven TD passes? Jenkins is in the top ten? It has been a crazy season already and we have already reached the halfway point this weekend.
This week’s top-ranked teams in Georgia:
- 7A: Grayson (3-0)
- The Rams had the week off. Grayson will host International School, Florida (1-1).
- 6A: Tucker (3-1)
- The Tigers cruised past Jonesoboro 42-7. Taurean Taylor had 100 yards and two touchdowns on just eight carries in the game.
- Tucker will play M.L. King (2-2) this week. They have won the last four games in the series. They defeated M.L. King 55-0 in 2016.
- 5A: Rome (3-0)
- The Wolves took the week off. They will play at Paulding County (1-3) this week. Rome has not lost in the series. They are 9-0 against Paulding County.
- 4A: Cartersville (4-0)
- The Purple Hurricanes had the week off. They will host undefeated Cedartown (4-0) this week. They last lost to the Bulldogs in 2011.
- 3A: Cedar Grove (4-0)
- The Saints beat Lovett 41-14. They amassed 331 yards rushing. The defense was led by Roderic Forts who had three sacks.
- Cedar Grove will host Westminster (1-3) this week. They have never beaten Westminster. They lost 42-21 last season.
- 2A: Benedictine (4-0)
- The Cadets beat Swainsboro 30-18. It was still a close game until Travis Blackshear returned an interception 14 yards with 33 seconds left.
- Benedictine plays at Vidalia (1-2) this week. They lead the all-time series 3-2 and have won the last two meetings.
- 1A (Public): Manchester (4-0)
- Manchester replaced Clinch County in the top spot with a 35-19 win over Jordan. Denizeo Gamble ran for 128 yards along with 110 yards from Kelvin Turner.
- Manchester will host undefeated Marion County (4-0) this week. They have never lost to Marion County. They won last year’s game 35-7.
- 1A (Private): Eagle’s Landing Christian (5-0)
- No problem this week for the Chargers as they crushed Holy Innocents’ 49-0. QB Brayden Rush passed for 168 yards through the air and 128 yards on the ground to account for four touchdowns.
- ELCA will host Wesleyan (4-1) this week. The Chargers are 3-0 in the series.
Hurricane Irma Blow-out of the week:
Pebblebrook 69, Berkmar 6. The 69 points were the most ever scored by Pebblebrook in the team’s 53-year history. The previous mark was 62 against Etowah in 2000.
Milton’s Personal Watch-List:
- Warner Robins 38, Houston County 21. This game was close for a while until the Demons’ broke it open in the third quarter. QB Dylan Fromm was 19-of-27 for 280 yards and three touchdowns. I was listening to this game on the Sports Mic app on Friday night. Tom Mobley and Kevin Wall talked about my book during the broadcast! Thanks guys! (The book is show over on the left side of this page). This week Warner Robins will play at West Laurens (2-2). Warner Robins beat West Laurens last year 10-6.
- Villa Rica 36, Woodland (Cartersville) 0. After losing to East Paulding last week, the Villa Rica Wildcats rebounded nicely with a comfortable win. Villa Rica will play at Hiram (2-2) this week. The series is tied at 4-4. Villa Rica has won three of the last four meetings.
- Irwin County 21, Clinch County 7. Ouch! The Panthers have now lost two-in-a-row. Almost unheard of in Homerville. Turnovers plagued the Panthers once again. This week they had four turnovers. The Panthers host Wilcox County (1-2) this week. Clinch County is 16-11-1 in the series and has won the last four meetings. The teams first played in 1968 which was the only tie in the series, 7-7.
Interesting Notes from last week’s games:
Tift County won at Parkview, 50-37. The Blue Devils are 5-0 and will play undefeated Coffee (3-0) this week…Can Lowndes be stopped? This week they had little trouble with Newton in a 57-0 win….Buford’s winning streak of nine games against out-of-state opponents came to an end last week in a 33-27 loss to South Pointe, S.C….Wayne County QB Garrett Overholt threw for seven touchdowns last week against Appling County….Northside Columbus knocked off Carver-Columbus 23-20 for the first time in school history…North Forsyth’s offensive line (Jeremy James, Ryan Foust, Brent Grab, Elijah Bird and Daniel Espinosa) helped their team pile up 658 yards of offense in a 58-35 win over Pickens.
USA Today’s National Top Ten Teams:
- IMG Academy, Bradenton, FL (2-0)
- Mater Dei, Santa Ana, CA (4-0)
- St. Thomas Aquinas, Fort Lauderdale, FL (2-0)
- St. John Bosco, Bellflower, CA (3-1)
- Ben Davis, Indianapolis, IN (5-0)
- Bingham, South Jordan, UT (5-0)
- Centennial, Corona, CA (3-1)
- Grayson, Loganville, GA (3-0)
- Miami Central, Miami, FL (3-0)
- Saint Ignatius, Cleveland, OH (4-0)
So who are the top position players right now in the state?
- QB – Trevor Lawrence, Cartersville
- DL – Adam Anderson, Rome
- RB – Dameon Pierce, Bainbridge
- WR – Rashod Bateman, Tift County