Most teams are into their region schedules this week which means that every game is important now as they compete for position in the region standings. How will non-region games help the teams when they face their region rivals?
Georgia’s Top-Ranked Teams:
- 7A – Grayson (4-0)
- Defeated International School (FL) 74-0. The Rams took this one easily as they jumped out to a 43-0 lead in the first quarter. The defense held International School to minus -77 yards of total offense in the first half.
- This week the Rams will host Ramsay (AL) (4-1). Ramsay is Alabama’s defending Class 6A champion.
- 6A – Tucker (4-1)
- Beat M.L. King 44-0 as Taurean Taylor had 171 yards and scored three touchdowns for the Tigers.
- This week Tucker will travel to Mundy’s Mill (0-5). Tucker won last year’s meeting 34-14.
- 5A – Rome (4-0)
- Dominated Paulding County 62-0. Rome QB Knox Kadum was 7-for-7 for 149 yards and two touchdowns.
- The Wolves will host Carrollton (4-0). Rome trails the all-time series 1-2 but won 45-28 last year.
- 4A – Cartersville (5-0)
- Defeated Cedartown 41-7. The Purple Hurricanes scored on all their six possessions in the first half to take a 38-0 lead in a game that looked like it might be a close one as Cedartown entered the game undefeated.
- Cartersville will play at Central-Carrollton (3-2). They lead the series 14-6 and have won that last 11 games. Central last beat Cartersville in 1987.
- 3A – Cedar Grove (5-0)
- Defeated Westminster 41-10. Darrell Neal ran for 149 yards leading the Saints to their 15th straight win.
- Cedar Grove has the week off.
- 2A – Benedictine (5-0)
- Defeated Vidalia 27-7. Senior tailback Travis Blackshear scored three touchdowns and had 109 yards rushing along with 114 yards through the air.
- Benedictine will host Bryan County (0-3). The Cadets are 5-0 in the series.
- 1A (public) – Manchester (5-0)
- Shutout Marion County 30-0. RBs Kelvin Turner and Deenizio Gamble combined for 314 yards rushing and three touchdowns to lead the Blue Devils.
- Manchester will travel to Central-Talbotton (2-3). They have never lost in the series and have outscored Central-Talbotton 362-28.
- 1A (private) – Eagle’s Landing Christian (5-0)
- ELCA had the week off.
- The Chargers will host Wesleyan (5-1) this week. They are 3-0 in the series.
Poll Jumper Of The Week:
Charlton County (4-0) moved from 10 to 8 in the Class 1A (public) poll after their 35-14 win over Turner County.
Blowout of the week:
Grayson 74, International School, Florida 0
Milton’s Personal Watch List:
- Warner Robins 31, West Laurens 9. The Demons remain as the #5 team in Class 5A as Dylan Fromm threw three TD passes in the first half. The defense forced four turnovers. Warner Robins will host #3 ranked Coffee (3-1). They are 3-6 in the series and have lost the last two games.
- Villa Rica 24, Hiram 21. From the reports I was reading on Friday night, the Wildcats trailed through most of this game but pulled it out in the end. The Wildcats host Paulding County this week. They lead the series 11-10. They won last year’s meeting 42-38.
- Clinch County 42, Wilcox County 7. The Panthers got their act together this week with 457 yards of total offense. The Panthers will play at Atkinson County. They have won the last 15 games in the series.
Notes from last weeks’ games:
Tift County (6-0) remained unbeaten as they knocked off Coffee 33-31 on a 44-yard field by Fernando Ramirez with nine seconds left…LaGrange lost to Central-Carrollton to drop to 0-5 for the first time since 1974…Clarke Central beat their cross-town rivals, Cedar Shoals, for the 10th straight time…Evans stunned Baldwin 45-2…Lincoln County lost to Stratford Academy 24-13 which dropped the Red Devils to (1-3)…Lowndes is currently the highest scoring team in the state with 55.40 point per game.
Player of the Week:
Meadowcreek RB Chauncey Williams. Williams had 314 yards and scored five touchdowns to lead his team to a 42-28 win over Lakeside-Atlanta.