Here we are at the end of the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) regular season. Teams are positioning themselves for the playoffs and the games only get bigger from here. Here’s a review of where we are and a look ahead to this week’s football action.
TOP RANKED TEAMS IN EACH CLASSIFICATION
- 7A: Archer (9-0) got past South Gwinnett 14-0. This was a scoreless game into the third quarter when Archer broke it up with a 41-yard TD pass from Carter Peevy to Traiyon Palmer. Archer will play at Shiloh (1-8) this week. Archer is 7-0 against Shiloh.
- 6A: Tucker (8-1) rolled over Mount Zion-Jonesboro 62-0. Travon Ford threw three touchdown passes and Garen McKinney returned a blocked field goal 70 yards for a TD. The Tigers will play Stephenson (7-2) this week. Tucker won last year’s game 31-0.
- 5A: Rome (9-0) defeated East Paulding 49-14. The Wolves jumped out to a 14-0 lead with two touchdown runs from Jamious Griffin. Rome put up a 35-0 lead at halftime. The Wolves will close out the regular season this week against Woodland-Cartersville (3-6). Rome is 12-3 against Woodland-Cartersville.
- 4A: Cartersville (9-0) was off. The Purple Hurricanes play at Troup (8-1) this week. Winner will clinch the region title. Cartersville is 3-0 in the series.
- 3A: Cedar Grove (9-0) shut out McNair 47-0. The defense had two interceptions for touchdowns and shutdown McNair. The Saints will play Redan (3-6) this week. Cedar Grove has won five in a row in the series.
- 2A: Benedictine (9-0) blasted Metter 45-0. The Cadets will host Jeff Davis (5-3). Benedictine has never lost to Jeff Davis.
- 1A (Public): Manchester (9-0) defeated Hawkinsville 46-0. Manchester will play at Macon County (7-2) this week for the region championship. Manchester is 4-12 against Macon County and has lost the last two games in the series.
- 1A (Private): Eagles Landing Christian (9-0) defeated Mount Vernon Presbyterian 70-0. The Chargers had 498 yards of offense. The Chargers will host Landmark Christian (0-9). ELCA is 9-5 in the series and has won the last five games.
POLL JUMPER OF THE WEEK
Walton has quietly moved in front of Grayson in the Class 7A poll. Walton is currently 9-0.
BLOWOUT OF THE WEEK
Eagle’s Landing Christian Academy 70, Mount Vernon Presbyterian 0
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
QB Jamarius Stevens of Brunswick was 13-of-20 passing for 264 yards and five touchdowns in a 56-24 win over Richmond Hill.
PERSONAL WATCH LIST
- Warner Robins 56, Veterans 17 – It was 28-0 in the first quarter when I got home and started listening to this game. The Demons came out strong and amassed over 500 yards of offense. Warner Robins will play Bainbridge (7-2) this week for the region championship. Warner Robins is 2-1 versus Bainbridge. They lost last year’s game 24-21. Warner Robins is looking for their first undefeated season since 2004.
- Villa Rica 42, Cass 7 – Villa Rica finally found their offense and took advantage of a short field early in the game to jump out to a 14-0 lead. In the second quarter, QB Kelvin Stephenson connected with Mecose Todd for a 57-yard touchdown. Villa Rica’s season is over. They finished 5-5.
- Clinch County 37, Charlton County 14 – The Panthers won the “Swamp War” as Trezmen Marshall played both ways in the game but he accounted for 218 yards and four touchdowns in the rivalry game. Clinch County will play at Telfair County (4-5) this week. The Panthers are 10-0 in the all-time series. The closest game in the series was 17-9 in 2012.
Lowndes and Colquitt County played a classic game with the Vikings winning 51-45 in overtime in a game that had eight lead changes…Thomasville overcame a 20-0 deficit at halftime to defeat Brooks County 23-20. Trey Tillman scored the winning touchdown with 1:08 left…Screven County has shut out their last six opponents. The last team to do that was Newnan in 2008…Stratford had a dramatic win over their crosstown rivals from Tattnall Square 27-23. QB Christian Palmer found an open Jonathan Siegel for an 84-yard pass and on the next play he hit Nathan Hunt for the last two yards with 21 seconds left for the winning score…Lowndes, Westlake, North Gwinnett, Brookwood and Archer have clinched region titles in Class 7A…AJC now ranks Mays (8-1) as the top team in Class 6A. There are no undefeated teams in the poll.
Villa Rica has been playing football since 1947. They were 1-7 that year and won their first game over Hogansville (13-6). The Wildcats have been in the playoffs 22 times in their history. Their best season was in 1986 when they won their own state title over Worth County, 13-0. (I was in attendance at that one) Villa Rica is 367-360-18 in their 71 years of football. Frank Vohun has the most wins as a coach with 63 from 1990-1997. The school’s longest winning streak was 14 games from September 12, 1986 through December 20, 1986. Their longest losing streak was 30 games which ended in September 1977. The most notable player was Punter Herman Weaver who played for the Detroit Lions and Seattle Seahawks from 1970-1980.