Last night the Houston Astros won their first World Series’ title in franchise history. I wondered about other teams in Major League Baseball (MLB) that have yet to win a World Series. After Houston’s historic win, there are now seven teams that have not won a World Series and two teams that have not even made it to the World Series:
- Texas Rangers
- The Rangers have played in two World Series (2010 & 2011) but have not won it all. They have been in the league since 1961. The closest they have come to winning was in the 2011 World Series when they lost 4 games to 3 to the St. Louis Cardinals.
- San Diego Padres
- The Padres have had two chances to win (1984 & 1998) but have fallen short. They came into the league in 1969. The closet they have come was in 1984 when they were beaten by the Detroit Tigers 4 games to 1.
- Milwaukee Brewers
- The Brewers have only been close once (1982). They started in 1969 as the Seattle Pilots. In 1982, they lost the World Series to the St. Louis Cardinals in the seventh game.
- Tampa Bay Rays
- The Rays made it to the World Series in 2008. The Rays began play in 1998. In their only World Series appearance, they lost to the Philadelphia Phillies in five games.
- Colorado Rockies
- The Rockies were swept by the Boston Red Sox in the 2007 World Series in their only appearance. The Rockies started in 1993.
- Seattle Mariners
- The Mariners are one of two teams that have never played in a World Series. They began in 1977. Seattle has been in three American League Championship Series. They lost in 1995 to the Cleveland Indians (4-2), 200 to the New York Yankees (4-2) and 2001 to the New York Yankees (4-1).
- Washington Nationals
- Despite their winning seasons recently, the Nationals have not been to the World Series. The franchise began in 1969 as the Montreal Expos. The Nationals/Expos have not advanced past the National League Championship Series (NLCS). In their only appearance in the NLCS, they lost to the Los Angeles Dodgers 3 games to 2 in 1981 as the Montreal Expos.
The Houston Astros finally got off of this list last night in their win over the Los Angeles Dodgers. The Astros entered the league in 1962 as the Colt .45s. They have played in five league championship series (1980, 1986, 2004, 2005 & 2017). In their only previous appearance in the World Series in 2005 they were swept by the Chicago White Sox. Last night, they ended the drought.