As I am listening to my favorite team playing in the first round of the Georgia High School playoffs, I wondered which schools have gone the longest without playing in the postseason. There are 12 schools currently members of the Georgia High School Association (GHSA) who have not qualified for the playoffs. First year of football is shown.
- Cross Keys (1958)
- Glascock County (1974)
- Long County (1984)
- Kennesaw Mountain (2000)
- North Cobb Christian (2007)
- Lakeview Academy (2007)
- Stewart County (2008)
- King’s Ridge Christian (2008)
- Baconton Charter (2010)
- Coahulla Creek (2012)
- Providence Christian (2012)
- Hampton (2014)
Here are some others that have not been in the playoffs for several years:
- Lithia Springs (last appearance 1981)
- Druid Hills (last appearance 1985 with only other playoff in 1956)
- Osborne (last appearance 1994)
- Central Talbotton (last appearance in 1994)
- Jordan (last appearance in 1996)
Interesting fact about Druid Hills – they began playing football in 1932 and have only been in the playoffs two times in their history. In 1956, the Red Devils beat Campbell and Rockmart before losing to Valdosta in the state championship game. In their only other playoff appearance, they lost to Campbell-Fairburn 48-35 in 1985.
Thanks to the awesome people with the Georgia High School Football Historians for their research website.