VEGAN BUTTERMILK BISCUIT RECIPE THAT ACTUALLY WORKS
Cooking food that is vegan has been a challenge for me since my wife and I started our vegan journey last January. Since our conversion to this lifestyle, one of my favorite breakfast items has been biscuits. It hasn’t been easy to come up with a good option but after many attempts, I have found a version that works for me. I want to share my method with you.
- 2 cups of self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of melted vegan butter
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
Most recipes I have found want you to use regular flour along with baking powder and baking soda but it’s just a lot easier to use self-rising flour. You can use almond or oat milk but I had better results with unsweetened soy milk. The vinegar gives the biscuits that buttermilk “twang” just be careful that you don’t overdo it.
So here’s how you put all of this together:
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees
- Put all of your ingredients in a bowl and mix them up until you form a ball of dough
- Scatter some flour on the counter and get some on your hands then take the ball of dough out of the bowl and put it on the counter. Flour will help to keep the dough from being too sticky and makes it easier to manage.
- Knead the dough with your fingers. A good example is to watch your cat. That’s exactly how you knead the dough. Don’t thin it out too much and make it smooth with no cracks.
- Get a glass and put it in your flour. Take the glass and press it into your dough while turning it right to left to separate your biscuit from the dough. I usually pull apart the dough so I can easily slide out my formed biscuit and place it on an ungreased baking pan.
- Get more flour on your hands and re-knead the dough again. Stick your glass into the flour and form the next biscuit as you have done above.
- I am usually able to make five biscuits from the dough.
- Slide the baking pan in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
No cow’s milk or chicken eggs were harmed in making these biscuits and they are pretty dang good. My wife made some vegan gravy the last time I made these biscuits and it was amazing. It was the best I have had since being vegan. I wouldn’t lie to you about Southern Buttermilk Biscuits.
Enjoy your biscuits y’all!