SO WHAT IS A LASER POINTER?
A laser pointer or laser pen is a small handheld device with a power source (usually a battery) and a laser diode emitting a very narrow coherent low-powered laser beam of visible light, intended to be used to highlight something of interest by illuminating it with a small bright spot of colored light. Power is restricted in most jurisdictions not to exceed 5 mW. The first laser pointer was built in 1960 by Hughes Aircraft. The first laser pointers were released in the early 1980s.
HOW TO USE A LASER POINTER…
If your attorney has a need to point out relevant issues in the courtroom either during trial or during their closing argument, they may have a need for using a laser pointer. Here are some detailed and complete instructions for using a laser pointer:
- Find a test area on the floor or on the wall to test the laser pointer. Do NOT point the laser pointer at a person or aircraft.
- Press the button on the laser pointer to activate the laser.
- Locate the laser dot in the direction you are pointing.
- Draw attention to the subject matter with the laser dot by circling objects instead of pointing.
- Release the button to turn off the laser.
- Do not use a laser pointer on a flat screen monitor. Most monitors will not reflect the laser dot thus making it ineffective.
- Be aware that the laser beam doesn’t end. Some beams can travel up to 22 miles.
TOP TEN LASER POINTERS (Cost)
- 3D G301 Green Laser Pointer ($16)
- Kensington Presenter Expert ($50)
- LaserPointerPro 30mW Purple Laser Pointer ($25)
- Logitech Wireless Presenter R400 ($25)
- Orion SkyLine Deluxe ($50)
- Quartet Green Laser Pointer ($34)
- Quartet Slimline ($15)
- Quarton Infiniter 2000 Green Beam Pointer ($40)
- Wicked S3 Arctic Laser ($400)
- Z-Bolt BTE-4S Red Laser Pointer ($28)
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A RED OR GREEN LASER POINTER? DOES IT MATTER?
Green can be used inside or out, but green is much more visible outside. But for courtroom purposes it really doesn’t matter; however, studies show that our eyes see green better than any other colors. In my experience, people are generally more at ease looking at a green laser dot which is helpful if you are presenting something to a jury.