Two more state champions from last season were eliminated in the quarterfinals. Colquitt County and Westminster came up short in their games this weekend.
Colquitt County’s run ended with a 49-21 loss to Grayson in a game which wasn’t really close. Grayson ran out to a 49-7 lead as running back Kurt Taylor rushed for 198 yards and Jamyest Williams ran for 100 yards. I told you to look out for this team when the playoffs started. They are definitely on a roll now and will play Mill Creek in the semifinals.
Westminster was knocked out by Peach County, 27-17 as the Trojans had 500 yards of total offense. Peach County is in their ninth semifinal and will play Greater Atlanta Christian. Greater Atlanta Christian worked overtime to eliminate Liberty County 44-38. Davis Mills connected with Trent Fowler in the third overtime on a 23-yard touchdown pass then held on for the win.
Mary Persons and Blessed Trinity played a solid game as it came down to a 28-yard field goal with three seconds left. Blessed Trinity’s Books Hosea had made four field goals in the game but missed the game winner. Mary Persons will now play Cartersville in the semifinals. In their only previous meeting, Cartersville won 21-17 in the 1991 semifinals.
Westlake finally cooled off Lowndes’ high-powered offense but needed a 39-yard field goal by James Miller as time expired to give the Lions for their first trip to the semifinals. Westlake, which is the school that produced Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton, will play Roswell next week.
The Class 6A semifinals will feature another Northside Warner Robins-Tucker matchup. If you have followed this series, you can expect just about anything. Northside leads the series 2-1 but they have all been nail-biters. This will be the third time the teams have met in the semifinals.
Valdosta beat Stephenson, 31-21, to advance to the semifinals for the first time since 2003. The Wildcats will play Dalton which held on to beat Coffee 30-28.
Buford defeated Carrollton 34-27 to play in their 10th straight semifinal. Buford will face Kell which had over 300 yards of offense to beat Woodland-Stockbridge 53-29.
In Class 2A, Dylan Johnson threw a 47-yard pass to Braylon Sanders with 17 seconds left to give Callaway a 35-24 win over Screven County.
Here are the semifinal matchups for each classification (last meeting):
- Roswell at Westlake (first meeting)
- Mill Creek at Grayson (Grayson 21-6, 2014 First Round)
- Northside Warner Robins at Tucker (Northside 23-20, 2012 Quarterfinal)
- Valdosta at Dalton (first meeting)
- Stockbridge at Rome (first meeting)
- Kell at Buford (first meeting)
- Mary Persons at Cartersville (Cartersville 21-17, 1991 Semifinals)
- Thomson at Jefferson (Thomson 42-20, Sept 2)
- Greater Atlanta Christian at Peach County (first meeting)
- Cedar Grove at Crisp County (first meeting)
- Callaway at Benedictine (first meeting)
- Hapeville at Fitzgerald (first meeting)
Class 1A (Public)
- Emanuel County Institute at Macon County (first meeting)
- McIntosh County Academy at Clinch County (Clinch County 32-7, Aug 26)
Class 1A (Private)
- Tattnall at Eagle’s Landing Christian Academy (first meeting)
- Fellowship Christian at Prince Avenue (Prince Avenue 42-14, 2009 Regular Season)