One step. One simple step That’s all it took for me recently to change my life for the past two weeks.
Life can change in an instant. We go along with the daily routine and our plans. We think we are in control until God shows us that we don’t have things figured out. Even if you don’t believe in God, I can tell you that life or the universe or whatever you believe in has a way of throwing you off of your plan and the things you thought you had under control.
We aren’t as smart as we think we are. Life happens and then we have to make adjustments.
For most people the first thing they say is: “Why did this happen to me?” Some people are quick to blame God whether they are a believer or not. God doesn’t work that way. Bad things happen to us regardless of our religious level. (Matthew 5:45) I have even heard Christians ask why would God let bad things happen to them. Seriously? Stuff happens. That’s just how life is. None of us are immune from life tripping us up once in a while.
We can ask that question but what answer do we expect to get that would satisfy us? Things just happen. We make wrong decisions and we take wrong steps. What has happened has happened. There’s not much we can do about things after they have happened. THE most important thing we can do is to adjust and follow the course that is ahead of us at that point.
Instead of being stuck in the why, we have to discover the what. What do we do now?
Missteps can be a way of getting our attention and altering our path. We have to look at life altering events as things that push us into a new or fresh outlook on our life’s journey. We have the choice either to be thrown by life’s bumps or change our attitude about the situation. Personally, I don’t like to be blindsided by unexpected situations. I like to be prepared. Life doesn’t always afford us an opportunity to see what is coming.
So how can we deal with life’s stumbles and missteps?
- Understand that things happen – We can’t control everything. When it happens, don’t let it throw you. You simply can’t plan life.
- Take a timeout to regroup – These unplanned stumbles in life give us an opportunity to reflect and reset ourselves. We need these times to take a break from the routine.
- Make a plan to move forward – We have a chance to see what has been done in the past and make adjustments to move forward. Instead of reacting, we can look ahead with some clarity.
- Build upon your strengths – You know what you do best. Focus on those things and work on your weaknesses. Do what you can do.
- Leave fear behind – We all have fears about the unknown. Let’s don’t let our fears keep us from moving forward. Falling down happens but we can’t be afraid to get back up again.
Don’t let the unexpected or unplanned things that happen to you to keep you down. I know it stinks when they do. Absorb the blow and give yourself time to rebound from it. Use the missteps to help you reset yourself. We can let these moments be lessons that we can learn from to adjust our course.