The games get bigger as we trim the number of teams left down to the final four for each classification. Here’s a look at last week’s scores and the games scheduled for the semifinal rounds:
Brookwood 35, Tift County 28
Colquitt County 12, Archer 7
McEachern 43, Parkview 28
North Gwinnett 51, Marietta 41
Colquitt County at Brookwood
McEachern at North Gwinnett
Coffee 28, Alpharetta 14
Tucker 20, Allatoona 12
Lee County 34, Mays 14
Glynn Academy 31, Harrison 7
Coffee at Tucker
Glynn Academy at Lee County
Rome 59, Starr’s Mill 10
Buford 20, Stockbridge 17
Warner Robins 63, Carrollton 24
Carver, Atlanta 26, Jones County 21
Buford at Rome
Carver, Atlanta at Warner Robins
Marist 28, Burke County 6
St. Pius 35, Woodward Academy 31
Blessed Trinity 43, Thomson 13
Mary Persons 51, Jefferson 32
St. Pius at Marist
Blessed Trinity at Mary Persons
Greater Atlanta Christian 51, Jenkins 14
Peach County 45, Westminster 15
Cedar Grove 28, Pike County 0
Calhoun 31, Liberty County 7
Peach Co. at Greater Atlanta Christian
Calhoun at Cedar Grove
Brooks County 31, Callaway 0
Rabun County 56, Screven County 14
Heard County 28, Thomasville 14
Hapeville Charter 31, Benedictine 17
Brooks County at Rabun County
Hapeville Charter at Heard County
Class A (private)
ELCA 55 Calvary Day 0
Prince Avenue 31, Darlington 18
Athens Acad. 38, Sav. Country Day 14
Mount Paran 14, Stratford Academy 7
Prince Avenue Christian at ELCA
Mount Paran Christ. at Athens Acad.
Class A (public)
Mount Zion, Carroll 10, Manchester 6
Clinch County 21, Mitchell County 0
Irwin County 21, Macon County 15
ECI 49, Charlton County 25
Mount Zion, Carroll at Clinch County
Emanuel County Institute at Irwin Co.
BLOWOUT OF THE WEEK:
Eagle’s Landing Christian Academy 55, Calvary Day 0 – ELCA piled up 426 yards of offense in the game. RB Josh Mays scored three touchdowns.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
QB Dylan Fromm of Warner Robins was 25-of-34 passing for 357 yards and three touchdowns. He also scored three touchdowns on the ground in their semifinal win over Carrollton
NEWS AND NOTES:
- Heard County, Lee County, Mt. Zion (Carroll) and Rabun County have advanced to the semifinal round for the first time in their school’s history.
- The 63 points scored by Warner Robins against Carrollton are the most they have ever scored in a playoff game. The previous record was 56 when they defeated Wayne County 56-7 in the 1976 semifinals.
- Two more defending champs fell short this week as Macon County and Benedictine were eliminated.
- Buford has an 18-3 record in semifinal games.
- North Gwinnett, Lee County, Buford, Marist, Greater Atlanta Christian, Rabun County, Eagle’s Landing Christian and Clinch County are favored to win their classification titles of the teams that are remaining.
- Blessed Trinity is making their third semifinal appearance in four seasons and looking for their first state title.
- Coffee’s last semifinal appearance was a 31-6 loss to Warner Robins in 1981.
- McEachern started the season 0-2 but have been 10-1 since then.
- Lee County has now won 12 games – the most in the school’s history. Previous bests were 10 wins in 2005 and 2013.
PERSONAL WATCH LIST:
- Warner Robins 63, Carrollton 24 – This certainly wasn’t what I had expected. It was a close game at halftime as Warner Robins led 21-17 but the Demons blew it open in the third quarter. Julius Burnett had 142 yards rushing. QB Dylan Fromm accounted for 357 yards and six touchdowns. Warner Robins will host Carver (Atlanta) in the semifinals. This will be the first meeting between the two teams. Carver last played in the semifinals in 1968. Warner Robins is 5-8 in semifinal games. The Demons lost to Lovejoy in 2011.
- Clinch County 21, Mitchell County 0 – Trezmen Marshall put the Panthers up 14-0 with a touchdown run before halftime as the Panthers controlled the game in the second half for the win. The Panthers will host Mt. Zion (Carroll) in the semifinals. The teams have never met. Clinch County is 8-7 in the semifinal round. The Panthers lost to McIntosh County Academy last season.
TOP FIVE GAMES THIS WEEK:
- Colquitt County at Brookwood – This is a rematch from September 15th when Brookwood won 42-25. The Broncos have a 13-game winning streak at home. The Packers have won their last 7 away playoff games. Brookwood leads the series 4-2
- Glynn Academy at Lee County – Leesburg will be rocking in their first semifinal appearance in school history. The teams have never played.
- Buford at Rome – Two monster powerhouse programs will meet in the semifinals this week. This will be a rematch of last year’s state title game where Rome defeated Buford 16-7.
- St. Pius X at Marist – These two teams know each other really well. This will be their 53rd meeting. Marist leads the all-time series 32-17-3. Marist has won the last two games including a 17-14 win on September 8th.
- Calhoun at Cedar Grove – Here is another matchup of two power teams. The series is tied 1-1 with Cedar Grove winning 47-21 in the quarterfinal round last year.
The Heard County Braves have fielded a football team for the past 46 seasons. Their record over that span is 253-237-3. They have qualified for the playoffs 26 times. Their first game was played on September 8, 1972. They were coached by Danny Pounds. They lost to Mt. Zion-Carroll 35-6. Their first win came against Taylor County on September 21, 1973. The longest winning streak has been 11 games from November 6, 1987 to November 4, 1988. Their best seasons came in 2006 & 2012. The teams won 11 games and lost in the second round of the playoffs. Their biggest rival is Greenville but they are 8-23 in the all-time series. The current coach is Tim Barron who is the Braves’ all-time winningest coach (129-56-0). Their most notable players were RB Dontavius Jackson who played at Georgia and RB Carlos Brown who went on to Michigan. The Braves play at Staples Stadium in Franklin, Georgia.